Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Still Not Purple

James offhandedly asked me before class how I've been feeling putting on the brown belt. "Weird", I replied. "Very, very weird." 

I'm trying very hard to not get all tied up in knots about how I don't feel like I deserve it and how it's going to suck a little bit more when I get dominated by blue belts.

Monday morning class covered how to counter butterfly guard, most of which I hadn't seen before. 

This morning he covered takedowns from a standing arm-drag. One of them ended in leg drag, and both Sarah and I were pretty thrilled with it. Another one was basically a tackle and grapple. James brought out the crash pad for those of us who were a bit more squeamish about the tackle part.

Rolled with Sarah, Tyrone, Ryan and Niki (twice). I tried to sweep Tyrone but kept getting in submission positions instead. He focuses on not getting submitted, so I see it as a challenge to get subs anyway. I'd be better off trying for sweeps, as he generally has a good base.

Flow rolled with Ryan as he's recently back from injury. Spent some time going knee cut passes with Niki.

Watched a back-control escape last night from Mendes Bros that I tried after class but it wasn't really working out for me. When you are rolled to the choking side and you've freed or prevented the hooks, step behind them with your legs, bottom leg first. If they try to get the top hook back in (which most people will) it was impossible to clear it. James gave me a good tip of holding their top leg with my bottom hand. 

Planning on a double tonight.

No comments: