Thursday, November 29, 2012

KOB

11/29 - Valley
My body is not pleased. I had an hour and a half of BJJ yesterday plus a strenuous Crossfit workout that was about another hour, and then today I had a big dose of knee-on-belly and knee-on-chest with guys who out-weigh me by ~50lb. Dudes weren't going light on me either b/c the local head instructor (T) was there.

I had to peel myself off of the mat on several occasions, and at one point I was light-headed enough that I had to take a minute to clear the cobwebs. We worked on several different set-ups to get from cross-body to KOB. I'm going to record as best I can, but to be honest, everything is a little hazy. No rolling at the end, which came as a relief. My body felt like it had been pummeled with a meat tenderizer.

Setup:
You are in top cross-face side-control on opponent's right side.

1. Move right hand to their left hip, grip their pants at the waist, make a fist and drive it to the mat. Thumb-in grip with left hand in the lapel on the back of their neck, pop up and slide right knee through.

2. If they have their right knee up, grip their pants at the knee, drive it to the mat and do the same as #1.

3. Sprawl out, switch hips toward head (kesa gatame), base right hand out parallel with their head, slide right knee up. This one is tricky, b/c you need to have your hips far enough off the ground to get your knee up and over. A little awkward the first couple of times, but got it after awhile.

T gave us some pointers on the grips as you're coming up...i.e. sometimes it doesn't make sense to get the sleeve grip, and you might be better off using your right hand on their left lapel and setting up for a cross choke, depending on how you got there.

T showed us a slick wrist lock... you have KOB, and opponent pushes on your knee. Underhook their arm with your right hand, ensure their palm is against your knee and gable grip your right and left hand together. Bring their elbow up and into you.

I might need to get some chocolate or some other kind of treat today.

No comments: