Thursday, March 2, 2017

Pans Prep II

Weight loss has been going pretty well. Depending on the day and the gi, I'm at weight now. Hoping to lose another 2lb so that I don't have to stress about weight. After several sessions with James, I'm feeling a little better about my take-down game plan, guard and passing. I've been able to use some of it during rolls. 

I had a great roll with Jason S. last week where I got a legitimate sweep on him, something I haven't been able to accomplish in I don't even know how long. Had a very demoralizing roll with a blue belt a day later that had me very bummed on jiu jitsu. But he gives James problems as well, so I need to chill.

In general I'm feeling decent with the rolls. They aren't fantastic, but I feel like the prep and mindset that I have this year is better than last year. I'm looking for hard rolls and trying to push myself at the end of each round to finish in a good position. Had a roll with Jason W. yesterday that was very frustrating. He sat in top side control and was trying to bait me to separate my elbows from my body. Of course I'm not going to do that, but I couldn't budge him to escape either. We were in a stalemate for awhile until I finally tried a big explosive movement out and he capitalized for a submission. 

I've been sticking with the weight lifting twice a week. It's working well, and I feel like I'm able to maintain whatever gains I've made in the past several months. I can't wait until my gym is in a garage or shop space instead of in the house.


No comments: