Thursday, October 15, 2015

Gui Mendes Seminar

Two day seminar, one day in gi and the other day in no gi. Three hours each, consisting of two hours of instruction and then about a half hour of rolling and another half hour of Q&A. 

The instruction was very good, and covered pulling guard, getting into the KOD position, bolo, setting up the knee cut pass, pass drills, etc. I think the biggest benefit that pulled from it was general principles as opposed to specific techniques. For example, when Gui passes to side-control, he walks the hips back so that your opponent is in a leg drag position instead of just flat on their back. This is a better control position and gives you possible back-take options.

The Mendes brothers tend to take one of their students to seminars as the uke, and the two of them seemed very insulated. They were more than happy to answer questions and help with technique while we were drilling, but outside of that they didn't interact with participants. Not a huge deal b/c I didn't attend the seminar to become their friend. However, the seminars where I've been able to just chat with the instructor were really outstanding.

A couple of our guys rolled with Gui on Saturday, and everyone except for myself rolled with him on Sunday. I did roll with Mason, his purple belt. He was great to roll with, as he was clearly more experienced but was happy to flow to different positions and not try to kill me.

I took some notes from the seminar that I'm going to have to write out soon otherwise I'm going to forget which would be a real shame.

No comments: