Monday, April 1, 2013

X Guard

4/1

I've missed posting about a couple of classes. Trying to think of a format that will better suit my purposes.

For the time being...

I am flummoxed by X guard. It does not come natural to me. We transitioned to it from when opponent is standing in your spider guard; when opponent has reverse kesa gatame and is attempting to mount, and from butterfly. We also worked on finishing it if opponent tries to run away, or base forward, or base midline.

Rolled with Joe, and consciously tried to work sweeps from guard instead of submissions. Almost had one, but not quite. I must have completely forgotten how to do the hook sweep, b/c I never ever get it even when they are perfectly positioned for it. Grrrr. Rolled with new guy Jason who's a 3 stripe blue. He had me in side control almost the entire time. I was able to regain guard several times. Was happy with that roll. Then Nate, who I almost got in a kimura while he was in top side control. I've never attempted to pull that off before, and it was damn close. Tried a wrist lock in conjunction with the kimura. Ran out of time, otherwise might have had it. Rolled briefly with James but a large cut on his head had been opened by a previous roll so he was a bloody mess and we stopped (after he caught me in three knee bars...arrrrgh). Another brief roll with Nate.

No comments: